Friday, July 31, 2009

PICKLES MAKE YOU BEAUTIFUL

In other food news, Guss's Pickles is moving.

Guss makes the best pickles EVER. I haven't been there since I left the east coast, but I remember Guss had several pickle barrels set up on the sidewalk in front of the store on Manhattan's Lower East Side. The barrels ranged from new to old pickles. The old ones were the best, the most sour. If you brought your own jar Guss would fill it with pickles, force the last one in with his thumb, top it off with pickle juice and name a price.

Actually, I'm not sure if that was really Guss at all. The current owner is Pat Fairhurst. Isidor Guss started the business on a pushcart in 1920. But it doesn't matter. The pickles are GREAT.

High rents are driving Guss's Pickles to to Borough Park in Brooklyn. Eat a pickle. Say "hi" to Guss for me, or whoever he is.

No comments: