Sunday, February 24, 2008

AND YET IT MOVES

While waiting for my colonoscopy, I thought of the astronomer Galileo.

I was lying on my side on a gurney, wearing a gown that opened in the back, and my mind was numb with the terror of the occasion. There on a tray sat a device consisting of several instruments connected by black hoses. I surmised that one of those hoses was going to go some distance up a private orifice of mine, and I did not like the idea. That's when I thought of Galileo.

After the church charged Galileo with heresy for claiming that the Earth circles the Sun rather that the other way around, they tried to get him to renounce his theory. Evidently believing Galileo to be a reasonable man, before resorting to torture they first displayed for him the instruments of his torture.

He renounced his theory.

I can see why he'd do that.

No comments: