Sunday, August 15, 2010

I QUIT

I had my own Steven Slater moment.

I'm in total sympathy with Slater, the JetBlue flight attendant who quit via escape chute.  Sympathy, hell.  The guy is a hero and inspiration to all the overworked who are not paid half enough for the shit they have to take.

My moment came decades ago in far northern Maine when I was a DJ for a small radio station.  During my show, the chief engineer -- who was also the assistant general manager -- entered the studio and, as was his habit, began to chew me out for something he imagined I had done or not done.

But this was one time too many and I just wasn't in the mood.  I stood up, told him "That's it, I quit," and walked out the door with a record still playing on the turntable.

I never looked back.  I had a job at a station in the next town within a week or two.  And when I think back to the event, it still makes me feel happy.

No comments: