Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WHY I VOTE

I voted.

I know my vote doesn't count for much, not when it's diluted by millions of other votes. As my grandmother used to say, "You're not the only pea in the pot."

I'm not a big gambler, but I like to watch horse races. I may put two dollars on the favorite. Not much, I know, but it gives me a stake in the race. It gives me a reason to scream and holler when my horse goes by. And if I lose, I can always get in on the next race.

I like the Powerball lottery. It's only a dollar, and the payoff is tens of millions. My chances of winning are infinitesimal, but still finite. For a week I can dream about packing my bags and taking that trip around the country and the world for the rest of my life. And if I lose, I can buy another ticket.

My puny little vote gives me a stake in the race. I get to study the issues and put up a yard sign, watch the returns and root for my guy. And if he or she loses, there's always next time.

No comments: